The male hostel of Oriwu College in Ikorodu was gutted by fire on Saturday.
About nine shanties were also burnt in the Sunday inferno, which was put out by men of the Lagos State Fire and Emergency Service.
The Nigerian Tribune gathered that a 12-year-old elder sister of the deceased baby was cooking indomie at the verandah of their parents’ apartment when the incident occurred.
It was gathered that the unnamed teenager had on seeing the fire, escaped from the scene, abandoning the baby.
The burnt body of the unnamed baby was, however, recovered by Lagos State fire fighters, who battled for about two hours, before the fire was put out.
A source at the Lagos State Fire and Emergency Service, however said that the agency did not get the information about the incident on time.
The Director of the agency, Rasak Fadipe, confirmed both incidents to the Nigerian Tribune, adding that officials of the agency swiftly arrived at the scenes, after they were notified of the fire incidents.